Welcome to Periyar Forest Bungalow
One of the activities that people expect to do while visiting a wildlife sanctuary or national park is to go on a game drive. Due to the strict control measures and limited activities on offer in the park this is not currently possible in Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary. For people visiting the Periyar Tiger Reserve the only option is to go on boat trips on the lake or on foot with trackers. Both these activities are with other tourists who may not have the same interest in wildlife as you do! Our estate is located deep inside the jungle of Periyar and surrounded by Jungle. For our guests at the Lodge we offer this exclusive facility where we take you on jeeps for wildlife viewing that no one else can offer. You would get to spot all the animals that you are likely to see on the boat trip, on foot and more as our estate is a haven for wildlife who have made it their home due to high level of conservation and protection that we give them.
This is the only place where you could experience the wildlife of Periyar Tiger Reserve in a jeep. There are 2 game drives possible from the Lodge. The morning game drive starts at about 6am with tea/coffee served at the Lodge before you start. You drive along the estate paths and along the jungle for about 3 hours. The vehicle used will be jeeps and you will have a service of a naturalist to accompany you for the drive. The morning drive is mainly for bird watchers as you have a wide variety of the common and endemic birds in addition to spotting some rare endangered species like the Giant Malabar Hornbill. For those interested a picnic breakfast can be arranged in the estate in the company of chirping birds!
The evening game drive is in search of the nocturnal animals and creatures and usually starts by about 7 pm. Some of the commonly sighted animals in the evening drive include Sambar, Gaurs, barking deer and flying foxes. There has been the occasional sighting of cats on the drive as well.
For an overnight stay one game drive is included. Additional game drive is possible at a charge of Rs 2500 per drive per jeep ( can take up to 4 people )
- Rs 2500 for the jeep
- 2-3 hours
- 4 persons
- Current charges that Kerala Forest Department might impose for entry into the reserve forest.
- A jeep that will comfortable seat upto 4 persons and a ride for a duration of about 2 hours
- The only place in Periyar Reserve Forest that you can actually go off the road to look for wildlife.
- A private game drive only for guests at the Forest Lodge and take only 4 guests at a time.
- Services of a knowledgeable local person and a naturalist to accompany you.
- Jeep that comfortably seats 4 + the driver and naturalist
- Any new charges that the forest department may want to impose after the 1st of October 2015
- Refreshments while on the drive ( unless specifically arranged in advance )